Monday 30 April 2007

there was a bird in the house yesterday

I was sitting in the basement pretending to work on the comp while Jimmy Page was hollering away in the foreground...I heard this flutter of wings and knew there was a bird in the house. poor guy. was this amazingly 'cute' (can not for my life think of any other adjective which could rightly describe it) little owl, around 7-8 inches high. he had found himself inside the house and instinctively knew he was imprisoned in a way. kept trying to fly away through this glass pane in the loft of our house and ended up banging and hurting himself. the guy was absolutely terrified.

the challenge was to slowly guide him out of the house...and realized how difficult it is to handle a bird that was so afraid, a bird that can see lesser when there is bright light, a bird that was considered scary but was just so beautiful at close quarters that after I overcame the initial nervousness just did not want to let him go...and moreover when it is dark he is comfortable you are not! I tried switching off all the lights, swithcing them on, throwing things in the loft so I could coax him out of that place. he was constantly banging against the glass paned window trying to fly out through the glass. took a good half hour while he travelled all over the house with me opening every window, switching on every light so it was darker outside and he would know thats where he wanted to go...finally it was sheer chance that he found himself flying out of the front door.

Actually I haven't felt this emotional pang for anything non-human until now. Shaddy (the dog that has adopted us among 2 other families that he has) was possibly the one that came closest; but this owl, the fear in his eyes, the absolute helplessness, coming from a bird that is usually associated with horror and eerieness. he was just so lovely. You should see the intricate patterns on his wings and the big eyes staring back at you while turning round the 270 degrees that he could move his neck around through and desperately trying to find an escape. I wanted to gently lift him, hug and him and tell him I didn't mean any harm! and that I would do anything to help him...

and NO I did not take any pictures...did not even occur to me and even if it did I wouldn't have wanted to petrify him further with a flashcamera!

2 comments:

ND said...

"The owl, night's herald." : Who said that? Hmm...whoever, nevermind.

"Thank you, Angel" : This is what he had said to you while he flew :)

(Hey Owly: message delivered.:D)

Prakash said...

...and after some 3+ years i visited my blog again, to see this comment from a stranger who probably wondered why i was not responding...well, this is a response presuming this mysterious ND might come again and see it...